Interactive 3D model, collection item of the City of Prague Museum
Mouse + left mouse button: rotation
Mouse + right mouse button: pan
Mouse wheel: zoom
Mouse click on interactive part: separation
The Gothic statue of Madonna made of fine-grained sandstone was originally located on the corner of the Old Town Hall chapel in Prague. The chapel was built from the mid-14th century and consecrated in 1381. The origin of the statue is associated with the heraldic decoration of its facade, which dates back to around 1365.
A copy of the statue has been placed in the Old Town Hall since the end of World War II. The original statue is part of collections of the City of Prague Museum. In 2018, this important monument was restored at the Academy of Fine Arts in Prague and a digital model was created on the occasion of moving the statue to the new museum exhibition at the House at the Golden Ring.
Madonna has not been preserved to this day in a completely intact condition. The crown is missing, the left hand originally holding the scepter, the tip of the left foot and at the figure of Christ the greater part of the head and the right arm. During the restoration, the head of Christ and his right hand were added. The starting point was a plaster cast of the entire statue from the end of the 19th century, which depicts the appearance of Christ's figure before the damage in the 1940s and which is located in the collections of the City of Prague Museum. The original appearance of the remaining parts is unknown. They were therefore created only as removable accessories based on the preserved sculptural material of the same style and composition orientation and are not part of the statue placed in the exposition.
To illustrate the appearance of the statue before and after the reconstruction and to provide a detailed view of the statue from all sides, the sculpture and individual accessories were scanned by a 3D scanner and photogrammetry. Subsequently, an interactive 3D model was created, enabling the connection of individual reconstructed parts of the monument.